George D. Raysor

Quitman, Georgia

The Quitman Advertiser

Quitman, Georgia

August 27, 1909




            End Came Quietly Monday Night After Long Illness---Funeral Tuesday Afternoon.


     Mr. George D. Raysor died at his home in Quitman Monday night about nine o’clockafter an illness of several months of a complication of diseases. His death was not unexpected but none the regretted. Last winter he was confined to his room for several weeks with an attack of lagrippe, and while he recovered sufficiently to be up again and be at his office, he was never well, and it was seen that his decline was rapid. All that was possible for medical skill to do was done for him, but of no avail and death only relieved his sufferings

     In his death Quitman and Brooks county loses one of the best and most beloved citizens and public officials, and his family a most devoted husband and father and his church a faithful and consecrated member. He was a friend of everybody and was a man that no one was heard to say ought against. In his official capacity as Clerk of the Superior and ex-officio clerk of the City Court of Quitman and as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Quitman Graded School, he served the public in a faithful and impartial manner, and was one of the best officers that the county ever had. He was ever pleasant and always had a kind word for those with whom he came into contact.

     George D. Raysor was born in Colleton county, S. C., in 1843. At the age of three years he removed with his father to Jefferson county, Fla., and was reared in that county near Monticello. Early in the war between the States he volunteered his services and enlisted in Company G of the Fifth Florida infantry as a private. His company was ordered to Virginia in 1862 and he saw service in some of the hardest fought battles occurred during the war and in each battle he distinguished himself as a soldier of bravery and courage. He was in the Maryland campaign of the summer and fall of 1862. He was in the second battle at Manassas, was at Harpers Ferry when Miles surrendered and at the battle of Sharpsburg on Sept.17,1862. Though he enlisted as a private his rise was rapid, being appointed Sargeant-Major directly after the battle of Sharpsburg and in October was elected Second-Lieutenant of his company and commanded his company in the battle of Chancellorsville in December 1862. In the following year he took part in the battle of Chancellorsville and Bristol Station. During this year he was promoted to First-Lieutenant. In 1864 he took part those famous battles at the Wilderness, Spottsville courthouse, South Ann Arbor, Frayser’s Farm and around Petersburg and Richmond. During this campaign he was acting adjutant of his regiment. During this hard service, all of the time at the front and in the thickest of battle, he was received only two slight wounds, one at Sharpsburg and one at Petersburg. Directly after the close of the war he moved to Brooks county and engaged in the mercantile business.  Later on he engaged in sawmilling and farming. In 1898 he was elected to the office of Clerk of the Superior Court of Brooks county, which office he held continuously until his death.

     On August 6, 1868, Mr. Raysor was married to Miss Laura Lee of Brooks county. This union were born three children, who are Mrs. B. F. Kemp, of Macon, and Mrs. H. F. Lilly and Miss Haskell Raysor, of Quitman. Mrs. Raysor and three children survive him. The funeral occurred Tuesday afternoon from the home and was conducted by Rev. W. F. Smith, the interment taking place in the East End Cemetery. The funeral and interment was attended by a large concourse of sorrowing friends and relatives, who gathered to pay a last tribute to this good man. Out of respect for the deceased, the court house was draped with mourning, and the stores and business houses of Quitman closed during the funeral hour.


Contributed by Morris Powers
October 2007


Back to Raysor Family Gathering